WELCOME TO THE BULVERDE/SPRING BRANCH LIBRARY VOLUNTEER PROGRAM!
We are happy that you have decided to give a helping hand here at our library! It is a fun and stimulating place to volunteer, full of great books and ideas. We’ll make sure you are properly trained but always feel free to ask questions. Volunteers can receive community service hours with their schools or other programs for the time they spend helping at the library.
It would be especially helpful to us if you can commit to a specific time each week. (For example, if you can come each Wednesday at 3:00-5:00pm). We schedule our volunteers just like our employees and count on their help. If you can’t make it when you’ve scheduled a time, please let us know as soon as you know you can’t make it, so we’ll know not to expect you.
The dress code is casual but proper so please no holes in your clothes or too short shorts. However, for your safety, please wear comfortable shoes -no flip-flops please.
Please see below for specific tasks that volunteers can help with, depending on their age group:
Shelver (ages 14 & up*): Training: 1 hour
- Sort materials by type (books, magazines, DVDS, CDs, etc.) & group (Fiction, Juvenile, Easy, Non-fiction, etc.)
- Shelve materials – return them to the shelves where they belong in Dewey Decimal or alphabetical format (directions provided)
- Assist with other library or processing tasks except for working the circulation desk
Adopt-a-Shelf (ages 14 & up*): Training: 1 hour
- Choose a shelf or section of the library
- Come in regularly at your own pace to check your section and make sure the books are in Dewey Decimal or alphabetical order
Circulation desk clerk (ages 16 & up): Training: 2-5 hours
- Check books in and out using the electronic catalog system
- Shelving and Adopt-a-Shelf as described above
- Help patrons with catalog searches
- Refer special reference questions or other unusual situations to staff
Notes: *Younger patrons may also help with Shelving or Adopt-a-Shelf after being assessed
We also have other tasks we need help with throughout the year such as Summer Reading Camp Library teachers, Basic Computer Instructors, Inventory etc. so if you can’t regularly commit time, maybe we can put you on a list for special library needs.