WELCOME TO THE BULVERDE/SPRING BRANCH LIBRARY VOLUNTEER PROGRAM!
We are happy that you have decided to give a helping hand here at our library! It is a fun and stimulating place to volunteer, full of great books and ideas. We’ll make sure you are properly trained but always feel free to ask questions.
It would be especially helpful to us if you can commit to a specific time each week. (For example, if you can come each Wednesday at 3:00-5:00pm). We schedule our volunteers just like our employees and count on their help. If you can’t make it when you’ve scheduled a time, please let us know as soon as you know you can’t make it, so we’ll know not to expect you.
The dress code is casual but proper so please no holes in your clothes or short shorts. For your safety, please wear comfortable shoes, no flip-flops.
Please fill out a Youth or Adult volunteer application and fax or turn in at the library. A staff member will contact you within 48 hours regarding your application to set up a mandatory orientation time. At the orientation we will determine how we might work together to best meet the library needs.
Please see below for specific tasks that volunteers can help with, depending on their age group:
Shelver (ages 15 & up*): Sort materials by type (books, magazines, DVDS, CDs, etc.) & group (Fiction, Juvenile, Easy, Non-fiction, etc.)
• Shelve materials – return them to the shelves where they belong in Dewey Decimal or alphabetical format (directions provided)
• Assist with other library or processing tasks except for working the circulation desk
Adopt-a-Shelf (ages 15 & up*): Choose a shelf or section of the library
• Come in regularly at your own pace to check your section and make sure the books are in Dewey Decimal or alphabetical order
Circulation desk clerk (ages 18 & up):
• Check books in and out using the electronic catalog system
• Shelving and Adopt-a-Shelf as described above
• Help patrons with catalog searches
Notes: *Younger patrons may also help with Shelving or Adopt-a-Shelf after being assessed.
We also have other tasks we need help with throughout the year such as Summer Reading helpers, Basic Computer Instructors, Inventory etc. so if you can’t regularly commit time, maybe we can put you on a list for special library needs.